Aly Somani is an member of the Business Law Group. His practice focuses on corporate and commercial law. Aly is also involved in private equity, venture financing, and merger and acquisition transactions involving both public and private companies and offers particular expertise with start-ups and emerging companies. He advises clients in a wide range of industries including information technology, media, hospitality, manufacturing and industrial and retail.
Aly has experience working with clients on the incorporation, organization and financing of companies, and in drafting shareholder, partnership, and joint venture agreements as well as a variety of commercial agreements.
Technology Financing and M&A Transactions
- Acted for a life insurance software company, GGY, in its acquisition by Moody’s Corporation
- Acted for Panasonic in connection with its acquisition of a software and hardware business
- Acted for Evolocity Financial Group Inc. in a $22.5 million debt and equity financing with Seer Capital Partners
- Acted for Xtreme Labs in its acquisition by GoPivotal Inc.
- Acted for NIBE Industrier AB publ (public listed company on the Stockholm Exchange) in connection with acquisition of CGC Group of Companies, a Canadian based lender in manufacturing and developing HVAC system products and technology
- Acted for NIBE Industrier AB publ in connection with the purchase of a controlling stake in FPI Fireplace Products International Ltd.
- Acted for a national trucking company on various accretive transactions and a reverse take-over transaction resulting in the company being publicly listed
- Acted for a US private equity firm in its acquisition of multiple franchise systems in Canada
- Acted for Volaris Group Inc. on multiple transactions
Hospitality and Retail
- Acted for a leading retailer in its purchase of a number of global consumer brands
- Acted for various global fast-food franchise systems sell and acquire stores in Canada
Aly is on the advisory board of OCAD University’s Imagination Catalyst incubator. Aly is also a member of the Technology, Private Equity and Franchise Groups at Cassels Brock.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association