Alex Tarantino is an associate in the Financial Services Group, the Mining Group and the Restructuring and Insolvency Group.
Alex has acted for lenders, borrowers and agents in connection with debt financing including acquisition, project, equipment, factoring, operating/working capital, secured, unsecured, domestic, international, senior, subordinated and syndicated financings. Alex has acted for various industries including the mining, energy and utilities, airline, aircraft, railway, construction and film and entertainment industries and involving jurisdictions including the US, the UK, Turkey, Slovakia, the Netherlands, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, Honduras, Argentina, Barbados, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.
Representative financial service transactions include:
- The purchase of receivables from a multinational sporting goods manufacturer and a multinational corporate relocation services provider
- Asset based lending for a multinational clothing manufacturer and distributor
- Pre-delivery payments for 10 airplanes (acted for syndicate of lenders)
- The sale and lease-back of 143 locomotives (acted for purchasers and lessees)
- Flooring, leasing and hedging facilities to motor vehicle dealers (acted for lender)
- Working capital and hedging facilities for a mining corporation (acted for borrower)
- Facility extensions for global mining corporations (acted for borrowers)
- Working and acquisition capital for a mineral processor, distributer and retailer (acted for lender)
- The construction of a cross-border electrical power line (acted for borrower)
- The purchase of an airline business (acted for borrower)
- The purchase of an aircraft by an international airline (acted for borrower)
- The construction of a pipeline (acted for lender)
- The sale of international mining businesses (acted for seller)
- The distribution of a feature film (acted for lender)
Alex has acted for buyers and sellers in connection with asset and share acquisitions and divestitures and in various sectors including the manufacturing, supply, distribution, technology, retail and service sectors. Alex has particular experience with the purchase of assets out of receivership.
Representative acquisition and divestiture transactions include:
- The purchase of assets of a winery in receivership (acted for buyer)
- The purchase of assets of a technology service provider in receivership (acted for buyer)
- The purchase of assets of a furniture manufacturer (acted for buyer)
- The purchase of shares of a electronics thermal protection provider (acted for buyer)
- The sale of shares of a steel distributor (acted for seller)
- The sale of shares of a powder coating provider (acted for seller)
Alex has acted for debtors, creditors, borrowers, lenders, monitors and receivers in connection with restructuring and insolvency matters.
Representative restructuring and insolvency files include:
- A telecommunications CCAA proceeding (acted for creditor)
- The windup of a government funded warranty program for a major automotive manufacturer (acted for lender)
- The restructuring of a syndicated facility for a casino operator (acted for Canadian administrative agent and collateral sub-agent)
- The restructuring of a working capital facility for a wireless telecommunications provider (acted for borrower)
- The Canadian restructuring of a multinational provider of complex electrical products and services
- The restructuring of a gold provider’s credit facilities
Alex has provided pro bono legal services to the greater Toronto community including legal services to a respite and support services provider.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- CLE committee, Young Lawyers Division, Ontario Bar Association
|Publications, Newsletters and Articles
|PRO BONO/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Former Director of the Self-Help Resource Centre of Greater Toronto (2006-2008)