What We’re Up To (Spring/Summer 2012)
(a) What We’ve Done
1. Larry Weinberg chaired the 2012 Ontario Bar Association Institute’s program on Franchise Law, entitled “Dealing With and Litigating Disputes Involving Franchises” on Thursday, February 9, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario.
2. Derek Ronde spoke on the topic of “Rescission 101: An Introduction to the Statutory Rescission Remedy under the Arthur Wishart Act (Franchise Disclosure), 2000” at the 2012 Ontario Bar Association Institute on Franchise Law on Thursday, February 9, 2012.
3. Larry Weinberg, Frank Robinson and Derek Ronde attended the International Franchise Association Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida in February 2012.
4. Catherine Dennis Brooks spoke on March 28, 2012 at the Ontario Bar Association / New York Bar Legal Summit in Buffalo, New York on a panel discussing Marketing / Advertising Law and Social Media.
5. Larry Weinberg also spoke at the Ontario Bar Association/New York Bar Legal Summit in Buffalo, New York on the topic of Canadian franchise laws at a workshop entitled “Alternative Strategies to Getting your Goods and Services to Market”.
6. Larry Weinberg spoke on the topic of “The Top 10 Franchise Agreement and FDD Issues you Need to Address Right Now” at the 2012 Canadian Franchise Association (CFA) Annual Conference in Niagara Falls, Ontario, which took place from April 1 to 3, 2012. Geoffrey Shaw, Frank Robinson, Derek Ronde and Rebecca Hamovitch also attended this event on behalf of Cassels Brock.
7. Catherine Dennis Brooks conducted an Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (“IPIC”) Webinar on Trade-mark Licensing on April 25, 2012.
8. Geoffrey Shaw spoke on the topic of “Defendant Interaction with Absent Class Members” at the 9th Annual Osgoode Hall National Symposium on Class Actions on April 26, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario.
9. Catherine Dennis Brooks, along with Shane Hardy and Cassels Brock, were ranked in “WTR 1000 2012 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals”.
1. Geoffrey Shaw, Larry Weinberg and Derek Ronde will be attending the International Franchise Association 45th annual Legal Symposium in Washington D.C. on May 20 to 22, 2012. Larry and Geoff will also be attending the International Franchise Association/International Bar Association’s 28th Annual Joint Conference on May 22-23, 2012 also in Washington D.C.
2. Geoffrey Shaw will be speaking at the upcoming Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law dinner program, “Wake up and Smell the Coffee! - What You Need Know About the Tim Horton's Decision” on May 29, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario.
3. Larry Weinberg will be moderating and speaking on a panel on the topic of “Key Issues When Advising Master Franchisees and Area Developers” on October 1, 2012, at the International Bar Association annual conference in Dublin, Ireland.
4. Effective September 2012, Larry Weinberg will become Chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s Franchise Law Section, the only Bar Association section in Canada devoted to franchise law.